Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Holy Revolution

My alarm didn’t go off at 6 am, but I was up by 6:07 anyway. The shots woke me up.

OK, I thought they were shots. But what was I supposed to think? There I was lying in bed, with 12 days of crime reports still swimming in my head when I heard six bangs.

I sat up and heard another three. A few minutes later, another six. It was like the Mexican Revolution had begun right there and then.

Fortunately, my mother-in-law set my mind at ease. The noise came from a local church. Parishioners were celebrating the Assumption of Mary that had just passed this Friday, August 15th.

Of course, there’s no reason in the world why I would expect this at 6 am on a Sunday… especially since setting off fireworks in the city is illegal.

Anyway, I can honestly say I owe those naughty faithfuls one. Without their zeal, we might have missed our plane.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.