Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

The Not-As-Short-As-Planned Run


http://amzn.to/1Ml7sRG
I ran today. That's a small scale miracle, by the way. Ever since I graduated high school, I've adopted an only-when-chased policy. But lately I've been kind of curious. Maybe I am a runner. Got knows I need some sort of physical activity beyond a few sun salutations a week. So, to make sure I didn't back out, first chance I got, I went by the store, got a pair of running shoes, and made my way home. 

To properly trap myself in this new scheme, I called my hubby on the way home and invited him to run with me for about 15 to 20 minutes—yes, I fully realize how very little that is. I really didn't want to over due it. Early last month I asked my brother to train me, but his workout was more than I was ready for just yet, and I woke up so sore that the training just faded into nothing after the second session. So I tell all of this to my hubby an remind him that this is a short quick run just to get me started.

By the time we're walking out the door, he's already established a route. It sounded fine, though to be honest, I was only half listening. Like I cared which way we went. Nope, just worried about getting out the door before changing my mind to that I could get through my 15 to 20 minutes. Why on earth I let him set the route for my first run, I'll never know. Apparently a 15- to 20-minute run in his brain doesn't include my walking warm up and or my walking cool down or the water stop or the multiple I-can't-breathe walks. So 15 to 20 minutes turned into something like 40 to 45 minutes. Sadist. Yes, it was a good workout, but I can already feel my thighs complaining and it's only been 3 hours. 

Argh! What part of 15 to 20 minutes was unclear?! 

Then again duh. I should've known better than to go for a run with a 26.2 man. He's so not picking the route next run.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.