Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bird Racing

About a week ago or so, I re-tweeted something for Bradt Travel Guides and got a guidebook for Guyana. To be honest, I thought it would be a digital gift, but no; I got a real book delivered from the UK to my door. This for a book junkie like me is serious happy-in-a-box!

More truth: Guyana's never really been on my radar. I mean, I know it's there, of course, but that's about it. Now I'm interested. Still not sure that it's on my must go list, but it's made it to my willing to go list. So yeah, given the opportunity, I'm there.

Right now, I'm fascinated with the bit on bird racing. It's a bird-singing man rave of sorts. Men gather on Sundays wherever it is they've chosen to meet that week, and they bring along a caged bird or two. Then they pick a number and face off the birds. The first bird to chirp to the predetermined number of chirps wins. And this gets you major man-points in Guyana. That's right, if your pretty bird sings the fastest, you are a stud. Is that not completely amusing? I love it!

And now, for your viewing pleasure: twitter... old school.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.