Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Cecina and Bugambilias

Ahhhh, a highly uneventful day. All this resting, light work, and reconnecting with Dallas via the Internet can get addictive. I miss actual hugs and kisses from my Dallas loved ones, but am grateful that casual conversation with my people isn’t either out of the question or ridiculously expensive. Yay for the web!


And yay for cecina! Vegetarians beware, I’m about to unabashedly wax rhapsodic about meat. Click on the play button only if you can accept that for some of us meat is poetry. 

One of the specialties of the state of Morelos is cecina, very thinly cut salted meat. It’s not dry like beef jerky, quite the contrary. Just imagine very thin, soft, salty beef. Combined with a bit of avocado, salsa, and our friend, the tortilla…. ohhhhh… its… um… uh... wait, I lost my train of thought.




So after my love affair with cecina, I went for a walk and took some pictures. There is no shortage of beauty in this place. Flowers burst from every nook and cranny. Tomorrow I'll take pictures of the bird of paradise collection in the back yard. And bugambilias (bougainbillea spectabilis) are as common as grass in these parts. They remind me of my grandparents. Their vacation homes were covered in these pink flowers.

With my ear buds in place and the radio tuned in to a local station, I strolled through the neighborhood. My only objective was to soaking in my new environment and to enjoy the sparks of familiarity that flashed like lightning bugs in my mind. Mission accomplished.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.