Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Yogurt Drinks

Every Middle Eastern, Indian, Lebanese, and Greek Restaurant has a yogurt drink of some kind. It's just a matter of nailing the name down. I mean, yes, I can (and at times do) just ask for "the yogurt drink"--but they aren't all the same.

A salty lassi is in fact salty. The "salty" is not just there so you know its not the sweet mango version. I like the tangy quality of this one.

The Persian version, known as doug [pronounced doog], is minty and has a bit of a bite. It's the dash of black pepper.

Arini, the Greek concoction, is pretty good. But it's kind of plain for my taste. Laban ayran, the Lebanese take is similar, but with a bit of mint.

A couple of years ago I was on a Arini kick. Last year it was a doug-o-rama. But now, I'm definitely a Lassi girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.