Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

My Urban Dairy Farm

I'm on a dairy product kick. Hubby started it with the yogurt and cheese extravaganza. Now I'm working on homemade jocoque and crème fraîche.

I have a recipe for jocoque from my step-mother that I want to try. The tricky part is getting the first batch started.

Everywhere I look, people recommend that I start with a bit of already made jocoque... which is great, except that I don't have any.

I asked my step-mother for an alternative and was instructed to get cuajo.

If your response is anything along the lines of "pardon?" then you and I are on the same page. A cyber-hunt yields the definition for cuajo: curd or rennet.

[Wordie parenthesis--Rennet: c.1400, probably from an unrecorded O.E. *rynet, related to gerennan "cause to run together," because it makes milk run or curdle; from P.Gmc. *rannijanan, causative of *renwanan "to run" (see run). Cf. Ger. rinnen "to run," gerinnen "to curdle.]

I'm sure all the culinary geniuses out there immediately recognized "rennet" as a magical jocoque, yogurt, and cheese making substance. I nonetheless was still left at "Pardon?"

In Mexico, rennet is easily found at markets and pharmacies. In the U.S. where I currently reside, however, it's a specialty item to be mail ordered. But, I don't know, I just can't get on board with having enzymes shipped to me.

So plan B.

As it turns out, a bit 'o fresh cheese and milk do the trick just fine. I'm off to the store and in a day or two, I'll have results.

If it doesn't suck, I'll share the recipe.
(If it does, I'll spare you.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!

A L E R T

The NONEXISTENT Rockway Press Short Story Contest

Rockway Press never actually posted the winners of the 2007 contest. Their site has entirely disappeared, and they're on the Preditors and Editors list.